This month, as we do every January, we have gotten back to the basics of our beautiful, life transforming Unity teachings, . . .
* Teachings that show us how to have a personal, intimate relationship with the Divine;
* Teachings that confirm who we, who we truly are, not who we might think we are or even who we have been told we are, but who we truly are;
* Teachings that prove to us how creative we are and then offer us ways to use that for good; and
* Teachings that provide us with tools to use when life seems to throw curve balls at us.
This is what our incredible Unity teachings offer us.
And we have gotten back to the basics of these beautiful teachings by digging into and defining some words and phrases that make sense when we speak Unity, but may not make much sense when we only speak English!
So, this month we've explored concepts and terms unique to Unity, and we've added two more. As we wrap up this morning, I thought we would do three things:
* Spend a moment taking a look at our one fundamental, core belief that I haven't explicitly talked about yet this month;
* Briefly redefine all of the terms we've explored;
* Finally, find out "What's Up" for you by responding to your questions, which you wrote out, yes? I'd like to ask the ushers to come forward now and collect them, so why don't you fold yours and pass it to the person in the inside seat.
1. OUR CORE BELIEF
There is only One and that One is God, the Living Spirit Almighty; one, indestructible, absolute and self-existent Cause. This One manifests itself in and through all creation but is not absorbed by its creation. The manifest universe is the body of God; it is the logical and necessary outcome of the infinite self-knowingness of God.
There is not God AND anything; only God AS everything.
Which is the perfect definition of our first term. The Absolute.
2. TERMS REVIEWED
The Absolute - Another word for God - the Source of all
The Law - The Way God Works - the mechanical process
Demonstrations - What God Does - the result
The Divine Creative Process - The process of creation through the Law to create a Demonstration. To sum up those four terms, we might say that:
We believe that the Universal Spirit, which is God, operates through a Universal Mind, which is the Law of God; and that we are surrounded by this Creative Mind which receives the direct impress of our thought and acts upon it. We believe in the healing of the sick through the power of this Mind. We believe in the control of conditions through the power of this Mind.
Affirmative Life - The life where we choose to "judge not according to appearances but to judge righteous judgment"a to use the words of Jesus. To not see things how they are, but how they truly are - spiritually.
We believe that Heaven is within us and that we experience it to the degree that we become conscious of it.
Consciousness - The totality of our beingness that we bring to our table of life consisting of our thoughts, feelings, beliefs, attitudes, values, words, actions and reactions and from which we create!
Spiritual Truth - The Perfection of God resides inside each and every one of us!
We believe in the incarnation of the Spirit in everyone and that all people are incarnations of the One Spirit. We believe . . . that the highest God and the innermost God is one God. We believe that God is personal to all who feel this Indwelling Presence. We believe in our own soul, our own spirit, and our own destiny; for we understand that the life of all is God. (from the SOM "Declaration of Principle" otherwise known as "What We Believe.")
False Believe - Anything contrary to the Spiritual Truth.
Our two additional words for the month are:
Habitudes - Our habits of attitude.
Pronoia - A true belief that the Universe is conspiring in your favor.
And we have Unity's Five Principles:
1. God is absolute good, everywhere present.
2. Human beings have a spark of divinity within them, the Christ Spirit within. Their very essence is of God, and therefore they are also inherently good.
3. Human beings create their experiences by the activity of their thinking. Everything in the manifest realm has its beginning in thought.
4. Prayer is creative thinking that heightens the connection with God-Mind and therefore brings forth wisdom, healing, prosperity and everything good.
5. Knowing and understanding the laws of life, also called Truth, are not enough. A person must also live the Truth that he or she knows.b
Got all that? Good!!!
Now, to your questions . . .
3. YOUR QUESTIONS
(Answers to the questions the congregation presents.)
So that brings our month of back to basics to a close. I know there are terms and concepts we didn't address such as Mental Equivalents, First Cause, Denials, The Subjective, Affirmative Prayer, but those will have to wait for another month.
For now, I want to leave you with a final quote from our co-founder Charles Fillmore that summarizes and adds a cherry on top of all we have talked about this month:
"Power is the faculty in mind that propels outward, and it must necessarily have balance in some other faculty in order to hold its equilibrium. There is but one other faculty that has opposite action, and that is love, whose office is attraction. When power and love are associated, the centrifugal and the centripetal forces of Being are equalized; man unifies all the work that the Lord God has given him to do, and his dominion over the forces of Being is exercised in peace and harmony. Peace and harmony are the focalizing ideas that chord with the divine nature of love, and when they are associated in the mind there is no limit to man's power. . . . By using this creative power of your own thought you will change that which seemed evil into good, and divine love will pour its healing balm over all."c
bEllen Debenport The Five Principles
cCharles Fillmore Talks on Truth pp.56 and 58